When you think ag, you probably think farms.
You’re right—and it’s so much more!
Ag means feeding the world. Teaching others. Building community. Developing policies. Telling stories. Leading initiatives.
The Agricultural Leadership, Education & Communications (ALEC) program helps you
- Develop deep knowledge and essential skills to thrive in groups of all kinds
- Address everyday and grand challenges in whatever path you pursue
- Acquire career-ready skills in leadership, education, and communications
- Immerse yourself in the agricultural, environmental, and societal studies that meet your needs - and fuel your passions
Our undergraduate students receive a Bachelor’s of Science in Agricultural Leadership, Education, and Communications, which can be tailored to fit each student’s individual interests by selecting one of our three degree concentrations.
Has there ever been a more important – or exciting – time to communicate about food and agriculture?
The concentration in agricultural communications prepares you to join an elite group of professionals who understand how to develop and deliver the kind of information people want and need to make balanced, informed decisions.
- Create a portfolio of communications work that will serve as a vibrant calling card when you apply for jobs or graduate studies.
- Work with globally experienced faculty on skill-based applied projects and assignments with real-world applicability.
- Become an independent, critical thinker, able to rationally assess information, analyze sources, and solve complex problems.
Teach sciences and collaborative problem-solving skills—to all learners—with expertise, equity, and compassion.
Prepare for a career in education and training for agricultural and leadership programs at the high school, college, corporate, or community level and gain unparalleled experience.
- Complete more than 100 hours of instruction and a 12-week student teaching experience
- Participate in hands-on projects through leading classes and workshops
- Focus on educational program components, teaching and learning principles, community relationships, and reflective teaching
Better yourself—and empower others—with the skills that bring about change and transform lives.
Build a powerful foundation with the essential skills every employer seeks—and that serve you for life.
- Learn to communicate effectively within diverse teams
- Explore ethical issues
- Find solutions to complex problems
- Proactively track your growth as a leader
- Gain real-world, hands-on experience through a 10-week internship within the agricultural industry or a community organization