One cutting-edge program. Three concentrations. Infinite opportunities.
When you think ag, you probably think farms.
You’re right—and it’s so much more!
Ag means feeding the world. Teaching others. Building community. Developing policies. Telling stories. Leading initiatives.
The Agricultural Leadership, Education & Communications (ALEC) program helps you
- Develop deep knowledge and essential skills to thrive in groups of all kinds
- Address everyday and grand challenges in whatever path you pursue
- Acquire career-ready skills in leadership, education, and communications
- Immerse yourself in the agricultural, environmental, and societal studies that meet your needs - and fuel your passions
Our undergraduate students receive a Bachelor’s of Science in Agricultural Leadership, Education, and Communications, which can be tailored to fit each student’s individual interests by selecting one of our three degree concentrations.
This joint-program is a collaboration between the College of ACES and College of Media. Courses prepare students to communicate issues in food, agriculture, and the environment across various platforms. Those who choose Agricultural Communications will also earn a minor in Food and Environmental systems. Pairing this major and minor ensures students have technical knowledge of the topics on which they report. Graduates are prepared for careers in media, advertising, marketing, and public relations.
Teach sciences and collaborative problem-solving skills—to all learners—with expertise, equity, and compassion.
Prepare for a career in education and training for agricultural and leadership programs at the high school, college, corporate, or community level and gain unparalleled experience.
- Complete more than 100 hours of instruction and a 12-week student teaching experience
- Participate in hands-on projects through leading classes and workshops
- Focus on educational program components, teaching and learning principles, community relationships, and reflective teaching
Better yourself—and empower others—with the skills that bring about change and transform lives.
Build a powerful foundation with the essential skills every employer seeks—and that serve you for life.
- Learn to communicate effectively within diverse teams
- Explore ethical issues
- Find solutions to complex problems
- Proactively track your growth as a leader
- Gain real-world, hands-on experience through a 10-week internship within the agricultural industry or a community organization